Thank you for your interest in the Alateen program. Your willingness to take on this important and rewarding service work shows a sincere commitment to the program.
The Board of Trustees of Al-Anon Family Groups and the World Service Conference has determined that safety of our teens, our sponsors and our Alateen groups is paramount. As a result, we ask you to adhere to the highest standards of conduct around members of Alateen.
AMIAS- Al-Anon Member Involved in Alateen Service; aka Alateen sponsor
AAC- Alateen Area Coordinator-handles training of Alateen sponsors and new group development.
AAPP- Alateen Area Process Person- handles all of the Alateen paperwork and certifies AMIAS’s so they can work in Alateen meetings.
Area 24– MD and DC- when you are certified, it is to work in this Area only- other Areas have their own requirements and process.
An AMIAS is an Al-Anon member who serves as a sponsor in an Alateen meeting, provides transportation, serves as sponsor at Al-Anon and Alateen events, Conventions and Conferences where there is Alateen involvement, as well as serving as Alateen Group Sponsors. Once certified, AMIAS’s need to re-certify annually through Area 24 to continue to work with Alateen members.
Here is an overview of the steps to become an AMIAS:
- Click here and complete the AMIAS application form and push Submit
- Ask 2 members of Al-Anon to go here and complete and submit references.
- Email a copy of your license to firstname.lastname@example.org
- After the 3 items above are received, you will receive an email from the AAPP regarding Background checks.
- Have Background check done. After you have your fingerprints taken, it takes approximately 2 weeks for the results to be returned to the AAPP.
- Attend AMIAS training (Note you can attend training anytime after items 1, 2 and 3 have been completed.) Send an email to email@example.com to receive the date of the next training.
Here are the details of the process:
- Carefully review the current WSO and Area 24 Safety and Behavioral Requirements – Click here to see them.
- Fill out the Area 24 AMIAS Candidate application form and push the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the 2nd page. Click here to go to the application.
- Ask 2 members of Al-Anon you have known for at least 2 years to go to this web site and on the “How to become an Alateen sponsor” tab, complete the reference form and push the SUBMIT button. One reference must be from your Al-Anon sponsor. It may not be a family member. He/she must be over 18 years old. Click here to go to the reference page.
- Email a copy of your driver’s license or other government ID with your picture on it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can simply take a picture of it with your phone and email it.
- After all of the information has been received, you will receive an email with instructions on how to have your background check completed. This usually takes 1-2 weeks. Effective 7/1/18 you will need to pay the fee and request reimbursement from the Area Treasurer. The instructions will be sent along with the form.
- Attend Training
- After all paperwork is completed, and training taken, the AAPP will enter your information into the WSO online database.
- If approved, the WSO will assign an official WSO number. This usually takes a week or so.
- The AAPP will notify you, via email, that you are certified to be an AMIAS in Area 24.
Very Important- your certification is not complete until you receive a notification from the AAPP, which means that you cannot attend an Alateen meeting until you receive this notification.